Friday, November 30, 2012

It's the most wonderful TIME of the year.

At this time every year, I sit down with a giant cup of hot chocolate and cast my vote on who should be TIME's Person of the Year. It's undoubtedly one of my favorite (and most frustrating) parts of the holiday season.

Last year I was pleased to see that one of my favorite nominees, The Protestor, won TIME's Person of the Year. I haven't always been so pleased with the winners, though. George W. Bush has won three times. Yes, one of those times was in conjunction with his father, but still! I hardly think he's deserving of three wins. Also, up until 1998, this "contest" was called TIME's Man of the Year, which I definitely don't appreciate. I mean, why on earth did it take so long for them to decide that women can make an impact on the world too!? Since the title was changed to include women, not much else has changed. No one woman has ever been named TIME's Person of the Year. "The Whistleblowers," which includes Cynthia Cooper of WorldCom, Coleen Bowley of the FBI and Sherron Watkins of Enron, won in 2002, but they had to share their fame with each other.

This year, 27 men were nominated, 6 women were nominated, 3 nominees involved more than one person where at least one was female, and 2 nominees aren't even people.

There are always a few people (or things) on the list that surprise me, but I think this year's list took it to a whole new level. For example, can anyone out there explain to me why Psy, the creator of Gangnam Style, is on the list but Michelle Obama is not? My love for Michelle Obama might make me a little biased, but I really do believe that she's one of the most influential people of the year. I kept waiting to see her name on the list so I could vote for her, but she wasn't there. I'm also not so sure why Jay-Z made the list. What could possibly make him eligible for this? The Higgs Boson and the Mars Rover were also on the list of potential winners. The last time I checked, neither of them actual human beings. This isn't TIME's Particle of the Year. It's not TIME's Invention of the Year, either. So now I'm just confused.

I'm pulling for Malala Yousafzai!

No comments:

Post a Comment