Sunday, September 16, 2012

Yet Another Diet That Won't Help Anyone Lose Weight

After years of partaking in a plethora of trendy diets that eliminated every trace of deliciousness from my world, it seems as though I've finally found a diet that's worthwhile.

Despite my nerdy news-junkie status, I recently realized that the number of news sources I checked on a regular basis was embarrassingly low. In order to rectify this situation (and fulfill the class assignment), I'm beginning to expand my journalistic horizons.

I've been a huge fan of TIME magazine since the age of eleven. My dad used to bring the magazine home from work. Even though I didn't understand most of what I was reading, I liked knowing that I was reading something important. Over the years I've also grown to love reading Mother Jones, The Economist, National Geographic, and watching BBC and CNN. I must admit that I've never followed all of those religiously, though. In addition to afore mentioned sources (which are all quite respectable), I also genuinely enjoy The Onion, The Colbert Report, and The Daily Show. Do they count as legitimate news sources? Absolutely not. Do I consider them worth my time despite that fact? Of course!

Since the beginning of my expansion experiment, I've also worked in the news sources listed on our assignment sheet. As of right now, I'm visiting some websites and following others on Twitter. When I get a feel for which ones I enjoy the most, I'll weed out the rest.

As of right now my news diet is a little scattered. I watch some news channels when I get the chance, check some websites every day, follow some news blogs on Tumblr, and follow others on Twitter. The problem with that set-up is that I'm going through far too much trouble to get the "nourishment" I'm looking for. I'm hoping to encounter a lightbulb moment and discover a way to organize my news feed any minute now. Until then, let the mishegas ensue!

-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment